Sergio Camargo  

Sergio de Camargo was born in Rio de Janeiro on April 8th 1930. Cosidered the most important sculptor in Brazil of his generation, whose origins are  associated with the historical relevant School of Paris. He first studied at the Altamira Academy in Buenos Aires under painters Pettoruti and Fontana. Camargo first visited Paris in 1948 where he studied philosophy at the Sorbonne, meeting during this trip BrâncușiArpLaurens and Vantangerloo. He began to study sculpture at the Grande Chaumière  and in the studio of Auricoste. Went back to Brazil in 1950, returning to Europe in 1951. Visited China 1954. On his return to Brazil, devoted himself entirely to sculpture. Made a few abstract works, then figures in bronze and marble akin to Laurens, followed by abstract sculptures in metal. Between 1961 and 1974 Sérgio de Camargo remained in Paris, where he became a member of the Groupe de Recherche d'Art Visuel. During that period he concentrated on structuring monochrome white surfaces with cylindrical wooden reliefs in which the play of light and shadow alternates between order and chaos, fullness and emptiness. He was awarded the International Sculpture Prize at the 1963 Paris Biennale and subsequently particicipated at the Venice Bienial representing Brazil