Mauricio Nogueira Lima
(Recife, Pernambuco 1930 - Campinas 1999/ Brazil). Studied fine arts at the Institute of Fine Arts at the University of Rio Grande do Sul from 1947 to 1950. Returned to São Paulo in 1951, working in the field of visual communication, with courses newly created at the Institute of Contemporary Art of MASP. There, he studied visual communication, industrial design and advertising, meeting Alexandre Wollner and Antonio Maluf, with whom he realized pioneering work of modern graphic design in Brazil. In the language of his posters, he used a strong visual gestalt, la-ter applied to his work as an artist as well. His language had strong relationship with concrete art and in 1953 he joined the Grupo Ruptura in Rio de janeiro at the invitation of Waldemar Cordeiro. He exhibited with the group throughout the 1950s, showing at the First National Exhibition of Concrete Art at MAM-SP, 1956, at MAM-RJ in 1957, and Konkrete Kunst at Zurich in 1960. He was selectwed to represent Brazil at the Venice Biennale in 1954, but declined the invitation under the statement that other members of the Ruptura Group had not been invited. From 1953 to 1957 he studied Architecture and Urbanism at Mackenzie in São Paulo. In 1964, with the establishment of the military dictatorship, he began working figuration in his works, portraying mass culture icons. In 1970, he resumed the issues of concrete art, with an extensive exploration of color. Died in Sao Paulo in 1999.