Gertrude Goldschmidt - GeGo
Born in Hamburg, Germany in 1912. Attended the Technische Hochschule of Stuttgart in 1932, receiving diplomas in architecture and engineering in 1938. After the Nazis gained power in 1934, in 1935 by hational decree, her German citizenship was nullified. Four years later she moved to Venezuela where she gained citizenship in 1952. In Caracas, she taught at the school of architecture of the Central University between 1958 and 1967 and between 1964 and 1977, at the Neumann Institute of Design, teaching "Bidimensional and Three-Dimensional Form" and "Spatial Solutions". She made her first sculpture in 1957 followed by extensive experimentation in form and materials leading her to theorize that a line inhabits its own space, and as such, it is not a component in a larger work but instead is a work by itself. This gave emergence to the "Drawings without Paper" series, and innovative theories of space based and the interaction of artworks and their shadows. GeGo has been widely exhibited since 1954, more recently at the Museum of fine Arts in Houston.
Reticularea. Watercolor on Paper. 72 x 55 cm. 1980